Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2017

UPPER PLATE DISASTER

August 17, 2017  
     My upper plate loosened while I was in the middle of supper. One more bite, and out it came.  I placed it in a compartment of the green plastic dinner plate I picked up when I joined the line at the Linden Ponds cafe.  The servers always give you much too generous portions, so there was a lot left over to go into my kitchen sink's disposal. I turned on the faucet and the disposal switch and began scraping.   What was that loud crackling sound?  Well, it was the sound of $6000 worth of dental work being ground up.  I called Kathie, confessed what I had done, and she said she would make an appointment with her husband's friend, Westwood dentist Paul.
     "Don't worry, Mom, Frank will pick you up and take you there."
     Vanity, all is still vanity, even in my 90s. (My 96th birthday is today.)  I had to see what I looked like without the upper plate, and found that if I keep a stiff upper lip, the gap is somewhat concealed when I speak. Crazy lady looks in mirror and talks to herself.
     I won't say this accident has ruined my life, but I was happily anticipating Walter's next visit toward the end of August and giving him a hug and a tender little kiss goodbye. I'll surely have the new upper plate by then, so he won't be fending off a toothless wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment