Pages

Friday, November 3, 2017

CROSS-EYED CRONE

5-4-17
     The operation on my eye, while blessedly restoring vision, transformed me into an ugly, be-wigged, cross-eyed crone who confronts me daily from my bedroom mirror.  Or maybe that was the way I looked all along, only I couldn’t see myself as others saw me.  Speaking of which, I’m fully aware that it’s shallow of me to focus on the ugliness instead of on the blessing.  Yet it hurt me deeply last week when on my way to the Cafe I encountered a family with a little girl.  I smiled down at her, whereupon a frightened look came over her face, and she grabbed for the safety of her mother’s nearby coat. 
     Now I think of Kathie and the glorious, fulfilling life she has lived from her wheelchair since 1965’s accident, and I mentally give myself a kick in the pants.  That’s enough.  Shut up.
P. S. Four things keep me from making my exit: bridge, my blog, my faithful family, and Diane Ready, whom I see regularly in the Cafe.  She recently told this old crone she was gorgeous.  I’m choosing to accept her opinion, rather than my mirror’s.  
Update 7-11-17
Diane’s latest compliment:  “Hi Sexy!”  I have to admit she does my spirits a world of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment