Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

(19) PERHAPS I TOO CAN HAVE A WHEELING CHAIR LIKE YOU.. . . . .

December 29, 1984
Weymouth                                                                                                                                            
      A week before Christmas Kathie described a game Sarah had originated.  Her five-year-old thought it would be fun to pretend that she was in the "wheeling chair," while Kathie could walk and run around like Sarah.  "And now I'm wheeling and you're walking, aren't you, Kathie!"  Kathie  cheerfully went along with this imaginative diversion.     
     My mother’s Jeeves must have been listening because when I woke the next morning, he insisted that I go to my typewriter.  A poem was waiting.
                                                Sarah's Game
Mommy, Mommy, let's pretend
That I am in the wheeling chair,
And while I'm wheeling, you can stand
And walk and run or climb a stair.

Mommy, see me turn the wheels?
Her chubby arms propel the air:
Sarah's testing how it feels
To navigate a wheeling chair 

You may push me, Mommy, now
Just as sometimes I push you,
Down the hall and to my room --
Faster! Faster!  Vroom!  Vroom!


 When Daddy opens up the door    
              I'll wheel to him across the floor.              
             Oh, won't he be surprised to see               
 That I am you and you are me!      
     
                                                   When I grow up perhaps I too        
                                                   Can have a wheeling like you.
                                                   Mommy, aren't we having fun?  
                                                   Indeed we are, my precious one!
JUNE 1986  PRE-SCHOOL GRADUATION
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment