Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

"I WAS HAVING A NAP!" (THE MAGICAL HAT)

Patrick was hunting, one Halloween day,

Through a trunkful of treasures long hidden away,

When much to the pleasure and profit of Pat,

He came on a wonderful magical hat.

                                                                                   
Well, quite as if this was his usual habit,

He put in his hand and he drew out a rabbit.

Pleased, but not thrilled into shivers and chills,

Pat muttered: "That trick is as old as the hills!"


Then thoughtfully scratching his smart little head,

"I think I will pull out some people!" he said.

And he did!  From that hat so imposing and tall,

He pulled out a lady in bonnet and shawl.

 


Artist Leo Harrington
                                          
                                             A dignified man and his neighbor came next,

And one or two more whose expressions were vexed.

"I," said the lady, "was having a nap!"

"And I," said a man, "was at dinner, young chap!"


"I," sniffed the neighbor, "was feeding my cats!"

"We hate," they all cried, "to be pulled out of hats!"

With this, looking ever so grumpy and glum,

They jumped in the hat out of which they had come,

And -- pffftt! -- they all vanished!

"Now, that," approved Patrick,

"Is what I would call a remarkable hat trick!"


No comments:

Post a Comment