Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2017

SMART OLD SANTA, SUSPICIOUS, SWUNG AROUND. (4)

THE NIGHT I CAUGHT SANTA

One Christmas Eve, I stayed up late

And hid myself because

It was my plan to lie in wait

And watch for Santa Claus.


At twelve o'clock, I heard a noise,

And peeping out real quick,

I saw the chimney raining toys

Then out fell old St. Nick!


I must have giggled once, I fear;

I quickly stopped the sound,

But smart old Santa, sharp of ear,

Suspicious, swung around.


He laughed a jolly, "Ho, ho, ho!"

Then said with twinkling eyes:

"It isn't every boy I know

Who takes me by surprise!"


Then putting me astride his back,

He bore me to his sled,

And there he gave his whip a crack,

"Heigh-ho!  We're off!" he said.


We climbed down chimneys all night through,

`Cause he and I were chums;

He let me fill some stockings, too.

With dolls and sugarplums.


And as I helped arrange the toys

That magic Christmas Eve,

I saw such wonders, girls and boys,

As you would scarce believe!


The dolls that Santa set in place

Would lift their arms up high

And tug his beard and kiss his face,

And fondly call, "Goodbye!"


Next morning when I woke in bed

I heard my mother say:

“For goodness sake, you sleepy-head!

Wake up!  It's Christmas day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment