Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

I WISH ED'S COMPANY MANUFACTURED CAP PISTOLS. (2)

July 17, 1961
     Ed has departed on what he calls a Grand Tour for the purpose of selling himself as a sub-contractor to the various concerns most likely to be awarded the prime contracts.  He says four out of ten are sure bets already.
     One thing troubles me deeply and always will.  I wish Ed’s company manufactured cap pistols instead of honest-to-goodness-kill-people guns.  I realize our national defense program is important and necessary and that someone has to do it, but to profit by it seems all wrong.  Ed knows how I feel and agrees to an extent; but his argument is, “If I do a good job, why shouldn’t I be rewarded just as I would if I were a candy manufacturer or a travel agent or a tree surgeon?”
     To myself I say—because I shouldn’t plague the harassed man with my morbid imaginings —somewhere in Russia someone is putting a gun together.  Will it one day be pointed at Teddy or Timmy?
     It is fruitless to speculate along these lines.  I must look at it this way:  guns are being made to prevent a war.  Apparently that’s the way those who are running our government look at it.   Ed says everyone is entitled to a profit, including Funeral Directors.  Perhaps if it were up to me to provide a living for my family my conscience wouldn’t be so tender.  Many, many people look to my husband for help and support.  He has always been the soul of generosity, even when he himself was having trouble making ends meet.  He is a good man and I am a foolish woman to bemoan what can’t be helped.
    From: Kathie Malley-Morrison  
    Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:48 PM
    To: 'Barbara Malley'
    Subject: RE: what about this??
        It sure gets at issues close to my heart. You are thinking about this for your blog?
   From: Barbara Malley 
   Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:09 PM
   To: 'Kathie Malley-Morrison'
   Subject: FW: what about this??

       After sleeping on it, I have a feeling that people might be curious about what created our affluence.    My editor Colleen Mohyde asked the question when I was writing the introduction for Take My Ex.  The Army-Navy E is mentioned, but then it appears that the truck rental business was what supported our lifestyle.  Since this memoir has been honest about a lot of  unpleasant subjects, maybe I should go ahead and share my feelings as stated.
   From: Kathie Malley-Morrison
   Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:56 PM
   To: 'Barbara Malley'
   Subject: RE: what about this??
       I can understand your wanting to share that info.  The line I dislike most is this one: "I must look at it this way:  guns are being made to prevent a war."  It is indeed what the spinners in DC have long wanted citizens to believe.  Sounds like something right out of Orwells’s 1984.  But publish it all if you wish.
   From: Barbara Malley
   Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:09 PM
   To: 'Kathie Malley-Morrison'
   Subject: FW: what about this??
        That line was written for Ed because I felt disloyal about denouncing the way your father made a living. I was thinking of asking visitors from the US and abroad how they feel about the subject. I’ve had only that single comment from the Resort owner in South Africa who liked my golfing story about Ed, but maybe the seriousness of this topic will prompt responses. I would like very much to get a dialogue going and to cite your blog, http://engagingpeace.com as an example of one small voice shouting objections to Drones and war in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment