Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

WELL, THE WINGS WERE ON IT WHEN I LEFT THIS MORNING. (3)


November 20, 1966
Westwood
       We had a lot of fun yesterday going to the Harvard-Yale football game, then on to a party at the Hills, who presented us with an album of candid pictures of ourselves and friends at recent parties.    
The captions were hilarious and Marguerite further enlivened the pages with drawings in the margins. Ed and I were  touched by all the time and trouble taken by the gang at this second party for us.
PRESENTED ON NOVEMBER 19, 1962
.     Pictures were taken of us looking at the photos, and Marguerite said, "Of course these will have to be added to the album -- this album and these parties could go on forever!"
     But of course they couldn't.  As of February, 2012, most of the guests have departed permanently, with a few exceptions such as Blake Thaxter, Connie Barnard, Dottie Remick, and your correspondent tearsandlaughter at 90.





JAYNE AND BLAKE (BARRISTER) THAXTER
  WATCH IT, DEAR, THE TABLE MAY BE BUGGED . . .


FUNNY. . .
 
RAY AND DOTTIE REMICK, CHARTER MEMBERS OF THE HARD CORE
                                                                         

                                            LOUIS EATON RIVALED FRED ASTAIRE ON THE DANCE FLOOR,
                                                                  BUT ONE TWIRL BROKE HIS PARTNER'S LEG.
May 1992
     I attended the Eatons' 50th wedding anniversary celebration at the golf club.  I looked rather fetching for a woman almost seventy‑one, I thought.  A friend had given me a dress she'd outgrown, brightish blue with an abstract design in white swirls, coming barely to my knees.  With white pumps and a white chiffon scarf camouflaging my unswanlike neck, I could have easily passed for sixty if I weren't attached to these 100‑year‑old hands and arms.  Get real, Barbara. How would you write in your journal if you weren't attached to your arms?
     I danced with two eligible bachelors and, as usual, with ineligible Louis.  He swept me into his Fred-and-Ginger routine, gazing down at me soulfully.  I've never known how to cope with that gaze.  Do I stare back at him soulfully with my left eye turning in, as it's prone to do under stress?  He twirled me and swirled me with abandon, luckily not breaking my leg as he did his sister-in-law's (or so he told me between swirls).  I quit gazing soulfully and began watching my feet.                              
SALLY (ONE OF THE STEWED TOMATOES BRIDGE GROUP) AND WHITEY BREWER


  BLAKE THAXTER, PARTY ANIMAL AND ED'S BEST FRIEND
(TO MY OCCASIONAL DESPAIR)


MARYLIN AND PORTER JOHNSON


THAT'S SCARY!!


CONNIE AND JACK BARNARD

PRE-TEEN TIMMY GAVE OUR BRIDGE FOURSOME THE GIGGLES
OVER HIS FASCINATION WITH CONNIE FOR TWO OBVIOUS REASONS . . .

TIMMY AT TWELVE

IT'S A DIFFERENT PARTY, BUT THE TWO REASONS ARE MORE OBVIOUS

BETTY AND PAUL DUSOSSOIT

MY MOTHER LOVED TO TELL US THAT THE DEUCES WILD CALLED WHILE WE WERE OUT.

TOM AND CELESTE CHURCHILL
     I finally figured out why we were getting all this attention -- in the nick of time, too, because it was beginning to go to my head.  The thing is, when people move to Cohasset, they never, ever, move away! This makes us unique, you see, and provides our friends with a fine excuse for giving a party. . . .
      I do enjoy seeing them all once in awhile but find that Westwood's quiet life holds much more appeal.  I don't feel the least bit lonesome when I'm here alone but instead enjoy the peacefulness of looking out at the pond and the squirrels scurrying around preparing for the onset of winter. And of course we're right next door to  Norwood Airport, which is a big plus. . . .





FUNNIEST!
                                                      



MARGUERITE, CLEARLY RECOVERED FROM HER MORNING AFTER, LOOKS BEAUTIFUL.  ONE  OF HER CHILDREN TOLD ME SOMETHING THAT TOUCHED ME DEEPLY WHEN I WENT TO HER WAKE.  MY MEMOIR* WAS OPEN ON HER BEDSIDE TABLE WHEN SHE DIED.  


* Take My Ex-Husband, Please --But Not Too Far, Little, Brown and  Company, 1991

2 comments:

  1. Love your album of captioned pix-ies from the sixties!

    (Sorry for all the silly rhyming;

    Pardon my goofiness, and my timing!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the silly rhyming, rhapsody. You have been such a joy in my life, first with your appreciation of Mom's poetry, then with whole-hearted support for this blog. Kathie and I agree that you are a super special friend.

    ReplyDelete